RecycleMania welcomes all colleges, universities and secondary institutions of higher learning to participate. Inclusion in certain categories and listing in the formal rankings is dependent on a school’s ability to track and report the required information.
Please review the requirements for each Categories as well as weight tracking standards (hyperlink to accordion on same page) to determine how your school participate. K-12 schools are not included in RecycleMania, but are encouraged to participate in a similar program, Recycle-Bowl.
The following items are acceptable to report with the respective material type. View individual category descriptions to understand which general material types are included in the specific result calculations.
- Boxboard / chipboard
- Hard and softbound books
- Junk mail
- Office paper
- Phone books
- Shredded paper
- #1 through #7 Rigid plastics (e.g., soda, water, juice, laundry detergent bottles)
- Aluminum cans
- Glass bottles and jars
- Steel cans
- Other food or beverage containers accepted by local recycling program
- Pre and post-consumer food waste
- Compostable dinnerware, napkins, etc.
- Food waste used as animal feed may be included
- Edible food recovered for donation to shelters, etc.
- Used cooking oil
- Baled and unbaled cardboard boxes
- Boxboard / chipboard
- Municipal Solid Waste (MSW). Any materials disposed through a normal MSW waste stream should be reported as “trash” regardless of whether or not it would otherwise be counted if recycled, reused or composted. Materials processed through waste-to-energy incineration are considered trash and not accepted as recycling.
- Construction and demolition waste and medical waste are not included in RecycleMania as trash or recycling
NOTE: Only for E-cycleMania category. Electronics are not included with the traditional 8-week categories (Per Capita Classic, Diversion etc.) Schools may count specific materials not included on the following list if they are otherwise accepted as “electronics” by their recycling service provider. All materials must be handled by an R2 or e-Stewards certified recycler to be counted in the competition.
- Computers, printers, related equipment
- Hand held devices
- Consumer electronics
- Power cords, chargers and other ancillary equipment
The following materials are not counted and should not be reported for any RecycleMania category:
- Industrial plastics
- Film plastics
- Yard / landscape waste
- Medical waste
- Hazardous waste
- Large-scale construction or demolition project waste
- Scrap metal, wood or other maintenance-related waste that is recycled. *Small-scale maintenance waste disposed with normal trash sent to a landfill or incinerator would still be counted as trash.
Weight Tracking Standards
The following tracking and reporting standards apply to all RecycleMania categories except for the E-cycleMania category.
- Recycling and trash data are reported as weight in either U.S. pounds or metric kilograms. All volume data can be converted to weight using the RecycleMania conversion factors (hyperlink).
- Data reported should be actual measured weights of materials collected. Exceptions to this rule include:
- Schools that receive weights infrequently (ex: with monthly invoice). In this case, use past weekly averages to report placeholder numbers each week. There will be an opportunity to revise reports with actual data at end of competition.
- Schools that have no way to track data from sections of their campus or auxiliary facilities. In this case, schools may develop a formula to estimate for up to 25% of their total reported weight. RecycleMania staff must approve the methodology in advance (email firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Stockpiling recyclables for the primary purpose of improving RecycleMania results is not permitted. Schools may include stored materials such as paper or electronics that are purged as part of a normal operational process, or that are collected from individual students and staff as part of a promotional collection activity.
- Hospital Facilities – Since non-academic staff are excluded from RecycleMania’s population eligibility (see explanation) (Hyperlink to content under Planning Checklist / Register), schools have two choices for reporting:
- Exclude hospital material weights from their reporting.
- During registration, report the number of non-academic staff in the hospital (can determine by contacting hospital human resources department). If this is done, school can include all hospital material weights.